Friday 9 November 2012

ALONE...

My take on Beate Gutschow.


When looking at these photographs the thing that stands out for me - is the vast space with no people. The images represent being alone. I love the framing of the first image and the whole placement. The lack of colour represents a coldness to me that you wouldn't get if it was colour. The rubbish represents a decaying world. In the second photograph i like the high contrast in what appears to be a very cosmopolitan area - and yet there is no people. Both shots are almost postbellum.






After looking through her work a came across some other pictures that gave me the same feeling. The emotional feelings are the same, however i dont know who the photographer is.



I want to create the same feelings in my photographs. I want to create a series of  B&W photographs in a modern environment. With no people in the image. It has to be a enviroment that would normally have a trace of human life within it. I also want the image to be in my home town.

Two of my images




The main factor was finding a floor of a car park during the day (why the day? I wanted some strong daylight to give contrast to the image). I didn't want to  have any people, cars or trace of people in the image. However i wanted it to be relevant to people that looked at my image, i wanted the viewer to be emotionally unsuprised at the image, and yet feel a emptiness towards it. The reason i chose a car park (and the first and second floor) was that during the day car parks are normally congested by cars. The feeling that the car park had been abandoned. I Shot the photographs in manual and had a few challenges with the light. It was a very bright day and the car park was very dark. However the end result is what i was after.


No comments: